This is also perfect for a romantic dinner, or you can scale it up for a fancy dinner party.
As with many of my dishes, I found a recipe that looked good. I modified it to meet my tastes and scaled down for one.
And since I had the oven on…I roasted up some potatoes and Brussels sprouts. Half a hen is about 250 calories. Total meal: 500 calories of yum!!!!
1 Cornish Game Hen
1/4 cup of olive oil
The juice from 1/2 a lemon
.5 tablespoon Herbes de Provence
1 tablespoon of dijon mustard
salt and pepper
1) Preheat your oven to 450.
2) Rinse the hen and pat it dry with paper towels. Salt and pepper the bird, especially inside the cavity.
3) In a gallon-size, zipper baggie, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, and Herbes de Provence. Put the game hen in the bag and zip it shut. Leave the bag in the sink for about 1 hour. Turning it occasionally to make sure the hen drinks up the marinade.
4) Slide the hen on to a small roasting pan. I used a small, ridged-baker from Pampered Chef. Cover with the hen with the mustard. Bake the hen for 15 minutes.
5) Pour the marinade into a bowl. Mix well.
6) Lower the heat to 350. Using the leftover marinade, baste the hen every 10 minutes or so. Cook until the meat thermometer reads 165 about 45 minutes.